The Jones Beach Amphitheater has been a staple of Long Island's most exciting summer entertainment for nearly 80 years. Projecting out over the calm, cool waters of Zach's Bay, the amphitheater had humble beginnings as The Jones Beach Marine Stadium, a temporary wooden structure built in the early 1920s as a work relief project. In the early days of the theatre, aquatic sports events and musical entertainment were featured. In 1945, the first theater was removed because it had become unsafe. The current amphitheater, completed in 1952, seated 8,200. Additional seating was added in 1991 to bring the capacity to 11,200. However, around 1996, Nassau County and the promoters realized that another seating increase was necessary. 4000 seats were added to the theatre in 1998.